Monday, September 22, 2008

Exercise #20: This is the future of book reading

"This is the future of book reading, It will be everywhere.", and this is how Amazon introduced it’s wireless reading device Kindle.

To know more about the product I have watched the video demonstrating how it works, it is so easy and simple to use, no computer, no cables, no syncing required. You can read books, top newspapers, blogs all auto-delivered wirelessly. Then I decided to check another producer of free electronic e-books.

Gutenberg, its collection was produced by tens of thousands of volunteers.

I have checked its catalogue online, search can be done by author, title, language, or recently posted which it lists what new books added recently. There is also an RSS Feed. But (You'll need a feed reader software to read this.) I decided to search for Hamlet by Shakespeare the result was 16 books match and the one which I have chosen came in different format(s), PDF, Plain text, Plucker etc. I read act one in PDF format and it is very easy and you don’t need to spend time waiting for the download to be finish. The most amazing thing was to know that you can download entire CDs or DVDs or even to have a free disc sent to you. However the project ask to check the copyright law in the country you live.

To know more about e-books I tried to find Hamlet in LibriVox, the result was 17

Matches and have chosen: Shakespeare, William. "Hamlet - I am thy Father's Spirit (Act 1, Scene 5)" (in "Shakespeare Monologues Collection vol. 03")· (readers)

I used media player to listen to the play. I must say with all these easy tools it will be interesting to see how this can effect the libraries in the future.

No comments: